A scroll saw is an exquisite tool that can be used for multiple purposes. You can cut various materials such as metals, steel, wood, plywood, plastic, etc. If you buy a mediocre scroll saw, you won’t be able to enjoy the fantastic features of this magnificent tool.
There are quite a few kinds available when it comes to the blades of a scroll saw. You need to have an adequate amount of knowledge before you choose your perfect scroll saw blade. You’ll have to research a bit to find the right scroll saw blades, especially when it comes to cutting metal.
Brief About Scroll Saw Blades
A scroll saw is a compact tool generally powered by electricity and used for cutting complicated curves. Starting from metals to woods, you can cut various types of materials with a scroll saw. Blades are an essential part when it comes to a scroll saw. The finer the blade, the more delicate cut you will get. This tool is meant for cutting intricating materials, sculpturing decorative items and so on. You’ll need to keep in mind a few facts when you’re choosing a scroll saw blade.
- When you are working with thick materials, the sizes of blades have to be big.
- Firm materials will need a blade that has relatively more prominent teeth.
- In order to do detailed designs, you will need a blade that has tinier teeth.
- Try to use bigger blades as they are comparatively easier to work with.
Different Types of Scroll Saw Blades
There are different types of scroll saw blades available in the market. Some of the famous ones are listed down below-
- Standard Tooth Blade: The speciality of a standard tooth blade is that the teeth’ distance and size are identical. You will find two different versions of this type of blade, one is meant for wood and the other is for metal. The teeth of the metal blade are more spaced out compared to the wood blade.
- Skip-tooth Blade: The unique thing about this blade is you will find a gap after every tooth. The space in between the teeth is quite broad and helps the blade maintain its temperature.
- Double-tooth Blade: It is just like the skip-tooth blade but the gap in between is doubled in size. This blade is quite time-consuming but you’ll get an even cut.
- Spiral Blade: Spiral blade has a set of blades wrapped together so that every part has a sharp tooth. This blade allows you to cut in every direction while keeping the material still.
- Precision-ground Blade: This is basically a skip-tooth blade with a moderately smaller set of teeth. Another difference is, the blades are way sharper and give an even outlook. But these blades are a bit hostile compared to the other blades mentioned in this list.
- Reverse Skip-tooth Blades: This is another type of skip-tooth blade but with a few upsloping bottom teeth. The diagonal part is there so that you don’t extract the end bit while cutting the material. If you are working with a reverse skip-tooth blade, make sure that the last pair of teeth are facing upward, especially when the labour arm is in the top position.
7 Best scroll saw blades for metal
Here are some of the most famous scroll saw blades that are amazing for cutting metals:
1. Olson Saw PG49802 Precision Ground Scroll Saw Blade
Olson saw blades are very popular for their unique blade style. The unique double-tooth blade with backward teeth which allows the user to get a polished and accurate cut every time they use it.
A lot of the time, you’ll have to use the sandpaper after cutting with a scroll blade but if you use the smallest blade that comes under this pack, you won’t need to sand afterwards. But if you want the best outcome, you’ll have to be patient. The cuts are relatively steady and the blades stay sharp for a long time as they are made out of carbon steel.
Technical features of Olson Saw PG49802 Precision Ground Scroll Saw Blade:
- Blades: These blades are made out of carbon steel which increases their longevity and also the quality.
- Box Contents: One packet contains 18 pieces and every piece has 6 teeth.
- Weight: The packaged weight is around .023 kilograms and individually, the items weigh around 0.81 ounces.
- Dimensions: If you consider the length, weight and height then the dimension of this product is approximately 3.5 x 8.5 x 1 inch.
- Teeth Length: The 5-inch long blade with perfectly placed teeth makes them exclusive and enables them to cut both linear and circular edges.
Olson Saw PG49802 scroll saw blades can cut through multiple materials. The double-tooth is perfect for materials like hardwood and metals but you can certainly work with softwood, plastics. You can even cut pine, cedar and oak with the help of these blades. But they are quite amazing when it comes to cutting metals.
2. Flying Dutchman New Spiral Scroll Saw Blades
Dutchman new spiral scroll saw blades have teeth on both sides which makes the transition very easy. Whenever you are working with a product that has a decent amount of curves and edges, you’ll need a saw blade that will be easy to control. These blades are much quicker when it comes to more minor and detailed cuts. You can control the direction of the blades that means you’ll have a smooth cut no matter how complex the curve is. There’s a possibility of over-tempered blades which causes them to break.
Technical Features of Flying Dutchman New Spiral Scroll Saw Blades:
- Blades: Dutchman Spiral scroll saw blades are made out of high-quality hardened steel which ensures the quality and performance of these blades.
- Weight: The weight of 5 dozen blades is around 4.8 ounces, a dozen of each size including #3/0, #2/0, #1, #3, and #5.
- Dimensions: The dimension of these double-toothed blades is around 9.02 x 5.98 x 0.2 inches.
- Box Contents: Every pack has 60 blades which contain 3 different types of TPI blades. You’ll get one 38TPI (Teeth Per Inch), 35 TPI and three pieces of 27 TPI blades.
You can cut metal, wood, bones, Corian, etc. with the help of these blades. But if you intend to cut ⅛ plywood, then you might face some difficulties. In the case of metals, they perform great.
3. Olson Saw FR43001 Pin End Hobby Scroll Saw Blade
The features of Olson Saw FR43001 make it comfortable and straightforward for amateur users. If this is your first project and you’re learning to work with a scroll saw blade then Olson Saw’s scroll saw blade is undoubtedly the ideal option for you.
You might face some issues while working with dense materials due to the height of these blades might. But the best part is, they are budget-friendly and amazing for inexperienced users.
One downside is the pinned ends, the pinless blades are thinner which allows the user to cut smaller detailed designs. As these blades are pinned, you won’t be able to enjoy this feature.
Technical Features of Olson Saw FR43001 Pin End Hobby Scroll Saw Blade:
- Blades: These blades are made out of steel which makes them strong and increases their durability.
- Weight: The 3 inches long pinned blades weigh around 0.3 ounces.
- Dimension: Product dimension: 1.5 x 8.5 x 1 inches
- Box Contents: You’ll get a 6-pack combo of 15 TPI skip-tooth style blades which will give you a medium-smooth finish.
You’ll get an idea for materials like thin fine metal, plastic and wood. These blades are adaptable which makes them easier to use and suitable for learning different techniques. But the wider blades allow the user to work with thicker materials. These blades are not suitable for dense metals.
4. Olson Saw FR49501 Pinned Blade
Another Olson Saw Blade falls under this category which proves their superiority in the market of scroll saw blades. This type of Olson blade is pinned which makes them suitable for exchanging in case one gets broken. A drawback is, you might not be able to work with delicate designs as the blades are thicker than other varieties. If you are on a strict budget then these blades are a fantastic option for you.
Technical Features of Olson Saw FR49501 Pinned Blade
- Box Contents: Olson saw FR49501 come under a pack of 18 containing a TPI range of 10, 15 and 18.5. The 18.5 TPI blade is a skip-tooth style that is meant for removing scattered pieces of the remaining material.
- Length: The 5 inches pinned blades are a perfect fit for scroll saws.
- Weight: The item weighs around 0.634 ounces.
- Dimension: Product dimension is around 8.3 x 3.5 x 0.6 inches.
These blades are quite thick which means you can efficiently work with dense materials. They can easily cut through plastics, hardwood and softwood. They are not that great for metallic materials.
For better curve cuts through both metals and wood you check out best band saw reviews.
5. Bosch SS5-20 5-Inch Scroll Saw Blade
The Bosch SS5-20 blades are made out of high-quality materials and refined steel so that you get a precise outcome. These blades are extremely easy to control and they work very fast. The pinned design makes it simple to exchange in case any of the blades are broken.
Bosch is a trustworthy brand when it comes to scrolling saw blades and you’ll undoubtedly get worthy products.
Technical Features of Bosch SS5-20 5-Inch Scroll Saw Blade:
- Blades: These blades are made out of steel and plastic which make them both durable and strong.
- TPI: The pinned 20 TPI blades are suitable for complicated designs and various shapes.
- Length: The cutting diameter of these blades is around 5 inches which is perfect for getting even lines.
- Item weight: 0.704 ounces
- Product dimension: 0.13 x 1.81 x 9.88 inches
Starting from metals to wood, you can work with all the different types of materials using these blades. They are also remarkable for hardwood, softwood and plastics. You can even cut diamonds with these blades, let alone metals.
6. SKIL 80182 Plain End Scroll Saw Blades
The variety of different blades gives you the privilege to work on a massive range of materials.
Technical Features of SKIL 80182 Plain End Scroll Saw Blades:
- Blades: SKIL scroll blades are made from high-grade steel, which ensures the durability and quality of the blades.
- Box Contents: One pack contains 36 blades, including a dozen of 28 TPI, a dozen of 11.5 TPI and a dozen of 9.5 TPI.
- Origin: These blades are made in America which indicates that there’s no chance of compromisation when it comes to quality and performance.
- Item weight: 0.96 ounces
- Product dimension: 9.02 x 3.5 x 0.12 inches
SKIL scroll saw blades are perfect for woods, plastics and non-ferrous metals.28 TPI is
amazing for heavier materials such as metal, 11.5 and 9.5 TPI is suitable for materials like hardwood.
7. Dremel Moto-Saw Fine Wood Saw Blades (5 Pieces)
This is another type of blade manufactured by the Bosch brand. The cutting depth of these blades is around 12 mm. The price is comparatively higher than the existing brands. But if you are looking for a smaller tool, then this is perfect for you.
You can also use these blades to sculpt smaller branches of a tree. The best part is, they come with spare pieces. The blades can be a little too fragile when it comes to using it on the hardwood.
Technical Features of Dremel Moto-Saw Fine Wood Saw Blades:
- Length: The total length of these blades is approximately 100 mm.
- Product dimension: 0.08 x 3.94 inches
- Width and Depth: The Dremel Moto Scroll Saw blades are great for cutting fine wood because the depth of this blade is around 1.9 mm and the width is around .2 mm.
- Weight: You can carry them with you because the size of these blades is approximately 100 mm weighing around 0.352 ounces which makes them smaller and lighter than the existing scroll saw blades.
- Box Contents: They come under a set of 5 and they can cut through various materials.
These blades are great for cutting fine wood. They are created to cut through various materials which include hardwood, softwood, laminate, PVC, sheet metal, etc. You will have to choose the right size of the blade according to the type of your material. If your project needs intricate cuts then you’ll have to use the MS52 blade. It will give you the most accurate result.
Complete Buying Guide of Best Scroll Saw Blades
There are some factors that you’ll have to keep in mind while choosing a scroll saw blade. They are-
Amount of time:
Depending on the amount of time you have and what result you are expecting, you’ll have to choose the blades. When it comes to these factors, one thing that you’ll have to remember is the TPI.
What is TPI?
- Every blade has a specific number of teeth which refers to the actual performance of that blade. The more the number of TPI, the more time it will take to cut something and it will cut a relatively smaller amount from a material. But if you use a blade that has a higher TPI, you will get a smoother finish. Besides, they are amazing for finer details.
On the contrary, thick blades have a small number of teeth which increases their lifespan. They are great for heavier materials and work faster. The downside is the uneven outcome. So before you buy a scroll saw blade, make sure to look at the number of teeth per inch.
The material and the desired outcome:
The design of the blade matters a lot as they are strictly related to the outcome. There are basically two types of blades, pinned and pinless.
- Pinned Blades: If you want to achieve linear cuts then there’s no alternative to the pinned blades. They are quick, easy and sharp compared to pinless blades. The broader teeth allow you to work way faster. The drawback is the size of the blade restricts it from working with various materials. For example, you can’t cut complex edges with pinned blades as the teeth are thicker. The best part is, the installation process of pinned blades is way simpler as the pins go under their suited gap.
- Pinless Blades: Pinless blades are light-weighted and narrow. They are sharper and easy to work with. These types of blades are perfect for complex designs and leave a smoother finish. Pinless blades are great for delicate metal works as the fine tip allows them to work precisely. They are quite tricky when it comes to the installation process.
These are some factors that you might need to keep in mind while buying a scroll saw blade.
Scroll saw blades are excellent especially when it comes to metallic materials. You can choose the size of the blade depending on the thickness of your material. No matter how much knowledge you have in this area, you can always achieve a decent result with a good scroll saw blade. So if you are a beginner, read this article carefully and you’ll definitely find some useful information about your perfect scroll saw blade. Besides that, there are a variety of scroll saw blades available in the market. Make sure to do your research before choosing the blade and do look at the buying guide mentioned above, as they’ll help you find the best scroll saw blades for cutting metals.