A circular saw needs to be maintained in a good way. You need to ensure that it is in good condition at all times. One of the important maintenance practices is sharpening.
This is why you need to know how to sharpen a large circular saw blade by hand. Sharpening a saw is an essential activity that requires to be done in the best way to improve the functioning of the circular saw.
The question you are already asking yourself is how to do this noble task. Worry not for we are going to discuss the step by step procedures on how to sharpen a circular saw in this article. We also shall look at how many times you can sharpen a saw blade, circular saw blade sharpening angles and also the saw blade sharpening cost.
The Process of sharpening the Circular saw
There are many ways of sharpening a circular saw. The first way is by use of a calibrated machine. This method is very expensive due to the cost of the machine.
Secondly, it is by sharpening the saw by the use of hands. This is the best and economical way to sharpen a circular saw for it is cheap and easy to sharpen. This method involves the use of a file to sharpen the blades one by one. Thus, no opportunity of leaving out a tooth unsharpened.
We, therefore, look at the process of sharpening a large circular saw blade by hand:
- A small piece of the triangular file.
- A marking pencil.
- A piece of wrench/ spanner.
- The dull blade to be sharpened.
You also read this article to know a better idea about Circular Saw.
Procedure of Sharpening
We must make this procedure of sharpening for knowing how to sharpen a large circular saw blade by hand.
- First of all, you will need to unplug the saw from a power source. This is by safely unplugging the electric source of the saw. For the battery-powered saws remove the batteries carefully.
- Then using the piece of the wrench/spanner remove the blade carefully from the saw. Ensure you choose the right wrench model depending on the saw specifications. The place the blade on a vice,
- Then using the marking pencil mark one teeth of the saw from where you shall star. Mark that tooth carefully and make it visible. This will be the starting point of sharpening and will help to determine the endpoint.
- Now insert the triangular file into the space that is under the tooth that you have marked. Place the file perpendicular to the blade. You will realize that this file can fit accordingly.
- Adjust the Circular saw blade sharpening angles until you get the required angle that will sharpen the tooth as desired. In this case, the file is supposed to, be in a horizontal position and aligned slightly at an angle.
- You will need to file the tooth’s face back and forth four times. This is using the horizontal stroke design. Ensure that you do not apply too much pressure on the tooth; just a little pressure is enough.
- As you will realize if you place the file properly, it takes a short time to sharpen. Now go to the next tooth by skipping one tooth at a time. This is because the one you will skip is tilted. In the other direction and will need to be sharpened during that side’s turn.
- Repeat the process 4,5 & 6 to this second tooth and for all the teeth tilted towards the same angle as the one you marked with a pencil. Do this continuously and remember to keep a tooth each time you finish sharpening.
- Do this round until you come to the tooth that you had marked on the blade.
- Then now remove the blade and rotate it at 180 degrees and place it back to the vice. This is to sharpen the teeth that had tilted oppositely in the previous exercise. Mark one tooth with a pencil and repeat the process 4,5,6,7,8 & 9.
Things to note while sharpening.
- Do not over sharpen the teeth of the blade.
- Also, ensure you avoid cutting yourself while sharpening.
- Use the shiny spots to give you directions on what to do.
- Use and wear something to protect your eyes.
- Don’t be in a hurry while sharpening just do it gently.
- With all this done you are good to go and use your circular saw as you want to.
Advantage of sharpening A Circular saw.
- Sharpening increases the rate of doing work at all times.
- It reduces overworking the motor.
- Cuts are made in a fast and efficient way.
- It also saves on the cost of cutting.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How many times can you sharpen a saw blade?
A: Regarding how many times you need to sharpen a blade is not guaranteed the exact numbers. This is because it will depend on how you sharpen. If you sharpen well, you will need to sharpen less often.
Q: What are the Circular saw blade sharpening angles?
A: The sharpening angles will depend on the angle that you are comfortable in and that which will work efficiently.
Q: Is Saw blade sharpening cost high?
A: As we have seen the cost of sharpening a saw blade using hands is very cheap. This is unlike when you use the calibrated machine. You will only need to buy a file, a spanner, and a pencil.
As we have seen sharpening a circular saw by hand is very simple provided you follow the instructions carefully as needed. This process is also cheap and does not require expertise in doing it.
When you go step by step on all the steps you will be well with your sharpening exercise. That is all about How to sharpen a large circular saw blade by hand.