Among many others, some of us want to have fun renovating the interior of our house, bathroom, kitchen or other rooms. Having a wet tile saw as a DIY lover is a must! You don’t want to play with a rented tool!
Nowadays, renting tile saws for DIY-ing is also very common among people. But keep in mind that the machine that you will be taking in rent is also used by many people and might not be in the best shape. Moreover, in the long run, if you have multiple projects in hand, you should consider buying one.
Here comes the question; Which wet tile saw should you buy and Which one is the best for dying?
Keeping all the features that a DIYer would need, I have created this list of 5 best-wet tile saw for DIYers. A DIYer can be a beginner or experienced, but whichever you are, this list will help you get the tool that will support your needs for a decent time.
The types of cut that you need to know before using a Wet Tile Saw
- Cross-cut & Rip cut- Cross-cut is a diagonal cut, especially one across the main grain or axis of wood or stone. A rip-cut is a type of cut that severs or divides a piece of wood parallel to the degree it is set.
- Miter Cut- It is a joint cut made by cutting each of two parts across the main surface, usually at a 45° angle, to form a corner, or to form a 90° angle, though it can comprehend any angle more than 0 degrees.
- Bevel Cut- In order to make cuts that move across the block at an angle from top to bottom, a bevel cut permits the blade to lean left and/or right from its 90-degree angle to the tabletop. This is a bevel cut that alters the blade’s perpendicular angle. It is no longer straight 90 degrees from the ground.
1. Leegol Electric 7-Inch Bench Wet Tile Saw
- Versatile for carrying out various cuts
- Adjustable rip fence for better accuracy
- Robust induction motor for easier and smoother cuts
While using the Leegol Electric7 inch Saw you will get a lot of advantages. The above-mentioned features make the saw very user friendly and appropriate for working individually at home.
The saw blade produces very clean edges. The angles are not only limited to 90° or 45°. You can shift it to any angle you want as well. Apart from that, you can also get a variety from 0°- 45° for bevel cuts.
As it is lightweight it is very easy to carry it around the house, if needed. The saw is perfect for jobs in congested places where other bigger saws might be hard to handle. The chrome-plated table is also very useful as it resists the machine from getting rust, so it makes the product durable.
The powerful motor generates a speed of 3550 RPM and makes more precise cuts.
2. Skil 3550-02 7-Inch Wet Tile Saw with HydroLock Water Containment System
- 7-inch diamond blade makes precise cuts
- HydroLock containment System
- Slide extension that supports the up to 18 X 18 inch
- Aluminium rust-resistant surface
- Adjustable rip fence
- Flexibility for experimenting with various cut types
The saw has an extendable table on the side. This table can be moved from the right to the left. With the help of the screws, the table can be locked and placed with two set screws underneath the table itself.
It comes with a HydroLock System, which is a large water shield with a gap and gasket that tries to keep most of the water inside the reservoir at the bottom. The guard is also adjustable, you can lock it in a position according to your needs if you are working with a larger tile.
If you are thinking about the miter gauge, yes of course you can adjust that as well with any angle you want. The Skil 7 inch wet does not take much water to fill up. Apart from these features, the Saw does not make a lot of sounds. In all, I think these make a very good wet tile saw that you can easily use at home.
3. PORTER-CABLE Wet Tile Saw (PCE980)
- Onboard miter square to assist miter and repeatable cuts
- Protective roll cage for cutting safely
- Splash Guard that keeps water away from the user
- Durability ensured by stainless steel that sustains construction exploitation
PORTER-CABLE Wet Tile Saw (PCE980) can produce 1 HP. The motor cuts porcelain, ceramic, and stone tiles smoothly. This model proved to be very durable as it has sturdy stainless steel constructions.
The build quality of the saw is very upgraded compared to other table saws. They used very durable materials and made it durable enough. It has a sliding tray enabling it to make bigger cuts. You can cut any type of tile up to 24 X 24 inches.
However, the blade that comes with the porter cable is not very commendable, as it burns out quickly. You might need to replace it with a new blade, for example, a pearl p4 which works perfectly fine for a good period of time. The saw also has a large water reservoir so you do not have to refill it frequently. It is also very easy to carry around with a sturdy handle on one side.
With a few adjustments, you can cut a perfectly square tile. The saw does not splash water all over even after having such power. And the accuracy of the blade is also very remarkable. There are very few chances that you will not get the desired result.
4. QEP 22400Q 3/5 HP Torque Master Tile Saw, 4-Inch, Black/Yellow
- Easy to use and cut ceramic, marble, slate and stone tiles.
- The plastic body prevents rust and corrosion
- Portable making it easy to move from place to place
- Adjustable in 22.5 degrees and 45-degree miter cuts
- High torque generated motor
The tile saw produces 3-5 Hp for more efficiency and accuracy and has dual extension tables that add extra surface for cutting tiles. This saw can perform both- a bevel and mitre cut. These features will help you to increase your flexibility and perform tasks at a higher speed.
This is one of the cheapest tile saws that you can find on Amazon, which is easy to clean, carry and use. The QEP Tile saw comes with an extension tray for larger formats as in better use of the machine. You can cut quite a few types of tiles- Ceramic, Porclain, Marble, Stone, Travertine, Slate, Granite, Quarry, Terracotta, Limestone. This particular table saw gives you a lot of options making it very user friendly and budget-friendly.
You can make straight cuts, diagonal cuts, profile cuts also known as notch cuts, mitre cuts of 22.5° and 45°, with ¾ inch deep. Altogether this is a very compact tile saw which can be handy for any individual working at home.
5. MK Diamond 158252 MK-145 1/2-Horsepower 4-1/2-Inch Wet Tile Saw
- Powerful drive motor
- Provides cutting variety
- Lightweight and easy to carry around a house
- 2-horse-power and 5500 RPM
This is a lightweight and compact saw with a flexible stop that keeps the saw steady and easy to work for the user. It produces 2 Hp, 150 volts and 5500 RPM. This is one of the most durable saws according to price. You might need to upgrade the blade after two or three projects.
The MK-145 4-1/2-inch wet tile saw cuts ceramic tile like a champ with a 155-volt 4 amp direct drive 1/2-horsepower motor. This lightweight 11-pound saw gives a heavyweight performance with a 4-1/2-inch tile blade that cuts 45- and 22-degree miters.
You should consider using a plastic shield because it can get quite messy as it has a higher speed. Moreover, you must remember that this is a bottom blade saw. To achieve a clean cut without cracking or chipping the edges you should stop the cut before ending, and then begin on the endpoint of the cut. Otherwise, there is a possibility that you will frequently chip the tiles.
In all, this is a very impactful wet tile saw to work at for an individual. However, if you want to go for more complex cuts you should keep in mind that this might take longer and you may have to come up with your own ideas while working.
Complete Buying Guide of Wet Tile Saw for DIYers
From my experience and understanding about tile saw for DIY-ing, there are a few things that you should take into account.
The following guideline is best for someone who is planning to work on an individual or personal project one at a time. The guideline will also be helpful for beginners.
While working at home renovations, the tile saws do not need to be very powerful. You can choose tile saws that are less powerful but also efficient. You can also be surprised knowing the actual power of 1HP. And the tile saws that I have recommended are mostly more than 1HP. The power and design of the below recommended wet tile saws offers the ability to cut the hardest materials.
The mentioned wet tile saw provided very good results as per my experience and research. But they can also backfire at times. You have to consider the power and volts that it produces, which causes the machine to vibrate. This vibration can cause errors.
The wet tile saws are known for their durability. You can keep them in the scorching heat or in rain for days but it will work fine. However, it is highly recommended to keep the wet tile saws aside, cleaned, after finishing the work.
Water Storage system
You have to take into consideration the amount of water a wet tile saw can hold. If the water storage system is not good enough, you will have to refill water frequently, which will decrease the efficiency.
An effective wet tile saw has to have the flexibility that can be used to cut more types of materials with a larger range of tile size. You need to make sure that the table saw can be worked with more than one or two angles.
What Are the Safety Measures for Using a Wet Tile Saw?
We all know how dangerous it can be while working with a saw. It is very important that you use safety measures and stay alert.
- Do not use your hands to clear the scraps from a worktable.
- Do not wear loose clothing, jewellery or work gloves. They may get caught in the blade.
- Never drink alcohol while using a saw.
- When starting, let the saw gain full speed before cutting, and help the work firmly so it will not lag.
- Never look away from your work.
- Use the correct blade for better application to get the right depth to decrease the amount of uncovered blade.
- Never immobilize safety measures, and always read instructions first.
- Use safety glasses, to protect your eyes.
To conclude, I would say, while choosing a wet tile saw you should go for the saw that produces the best results in the easiest way. The saw is easy for you to carry and handle. Keeping these basic notions in mind and the specifications mentioned above about my recommendations, I hope you will find the correct saw that you need.